Do I need ATV insurance in South Carolina?
Four-wheelers, all-terrain vehicles, ATVs, gators – whatever you call them, they’re supercharged fun machines! But before you take your ATV out for a day of off-roading, exploring, and hitting the trail, you may be wondering, “Do I need ATV insurance in South Carolina?”
ATV insurance is required in South Carolina
ATV insurance is required in South Carolina if you want to take your ATV or four-wheeler on any public roads or trails. For driving an ATV on your own personal property or the private property of a friend or family member, ATV insurance is not required. However, four-wheeler insurance is a really smart way to protect yourself from financial losses due to an accident on your ATV.
What happens if I don’t have ATV insurance?
In the United States, an average of 135,000 people are injured in ATV accidents every year. Although ATV insurance isn’t required in South Carolina, it’s a good idea to have a policy anyway, even if you’re only driving on your own private property. For one, it allows you to take your ATV out on public trails and roads. And for two, it protects you from financially devastating losses if your ATV is involved in an accident.
If you, your children, or your friends are driving your ATV on private property and have an accident, the costs for medical treatment, property damage, and even a lawsuit from an affected party would come directly out of your pocket. As we all know, medical bills can easily reach into hundreds of thousands of dollars in a very short time. In fact, the majority of bankruptcies in the United States are due to medical bills.
How much does ATV insurance cost?
The cost of ATV insurance varies widely based on your driving record, the type of ATV you own, and other factors. In general, the cost of ATV insurance ranges from $40 to $200 per month. Give us a call today, and we can give you an accurate estimate for what you’d pay for ATV insurance.
What does ATV insurance cover?
There are several types of coverage for ATV owners, including:
- Bodily Injury Liability – Covers damages and medical bills for people other than yourself who are hurt on or with your ATV. This type of policy also covers legal fees in case you are sued due to an ATV accident.
- Property Damage Liability – Pays for damage that the person driving your ATV causes to someone else’s personal property, including landscaping.
- Medical Payments – This is an optional coverage that pays for the medical bills of the person riding or driving your ATV.
- Collision – This optional coverage covers repairs to your ATV from damage caused by a collision with another vehicle or a rollover.
- Comprehensive – This is an optional coverage that pays for damage to your ATV that isn’t caused by a collision. Comprehensive ATV coverage covers storm damage, theft, vandalism, fire and more.
Looking for ATV coverage in South Carolina?
Edward Insurance Agency in Taylors, S.C., helps you enjoy the outdoors without the worry by finding the right-priced policy for you. Give us a call today!